Sunday, October 7, 2012

Finding Your Own Writing Motivation

No one ever said it was easy to be a writer. It's not and I hope these blogs don't come across as someone who consistently complains about writing. An ex boyfriend of mine did not understand my dilemmas of being a writer and maybe I was not accurate enough to describe my woes. It's mostly an exhilarating adventure this writing craft that is mine. My whole heart goes into it. Every absolute fiber of my being just screams for writing and the senses, blood in my veins, everything is pure excitement when I get to write and I find something to lock onto. There's really nothing to describe it. And I think that is something difficult to comprehend to an outside source.

The trouble is not always having that emotion to lock onto. It's that life gets in the way time and time again. You've got bills to pay, jobs to work, homes to clean, food to cook, friends to see, family to visit, guys to date, dogs to play with, movies to watch and everything in the middle that will cause your writing time to suffer. But it's all about trying to find a balance. Make a list, set a schedule, divide up the work and give yourself an allotted time to write. There's no way to tell you how to do it other than come up with a solution that works for you.

For me, I have difficulties clearing my mind and schedule. I don't have the time or the willpower to motivation sometimes. My solution? Get rid of the trivial things. Got movies sitting in my queue to watch or rent? Do it while I write. Find a writing partner in your friends or boyfriend. Set aside time for you to write while they do something they enjoy or need to do.

Today, I had the urge to get out of the house. I've been spending a lot of time lately with a friend and not really getting time to myself. So, after a date, I opted to go home, curl up on the couch, and watch TV. Today, I went and did some last-minute weekend shopping (ie. buying a winter pea coat) before stopping off at Starbucks for coffee and coming home. I chatted with my roommate for a while before he instructed me to write. And by instructed, I mean, he dragged me by the wrist over to the sofa, handed me a blanket, turned on my computer and said "write" in a demanding tone. Last time he did this, I knocked out a few pages in an hour. It's great to have someone to motivate you. And writing is a learning game, always moving, always trying to find what works for you.

So, write on, my fellow writers. Catch you in the next chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment