Monday, May 21, 2012

Get Me Off This Fucking Shelf!

I think a huge thing about being a writer is how empowering it is to control this universe that belongs solely to you. Now, I'm not saying that everything happens the way we initially intended. And I'm not saying we as writers are Gods. What I'm saying is that we have this ability to shift life by our fictional creations and mold their lives.

Here in the real world, some of us are not so fortunate. Life happens. As I've been hearing frequently lately, life's a bitch. Yeah, well, I know life's a bitch. So am I. And this bitch is really starting to get fed up with a few things lately. But that's probably for another blog in another site under a different name. Yeah.
My best friend's mom came up with a term when my friend and I were in junior college together: "shelf boyfriend". My bestie wanted to have a boyfriend on her own terms. She wanted someone she could hang out with when she wanted but also get her own space. I figured I would be that same way. I mean, who wants to have someone cling to you 24/7? Unfortunately, that seems to be a trend, however, when people join relationships. They ditch all of their friends, they only spend time with their significant other, they only talk about their significant other and apparently, that's all that matters. Unfortunately, this happens. And on the outside, it is horrible.

But I think that a lot of us feel as if we're shelved in our lives. We have friends who pick us up when they want to play with someone; if they are bored or alone, that's when they'll pick up the phone. In relationships, sometimes we feel more like a doll than a real person; because we become so needy when we want our needs met. We have this huge burdening feeling when we actually ask someone to be there for us.

All relationships are a huge take with some give...but it feels like we take more than we give sometimes.
I just want to get off this fucking shelf.
And this really is not meant for this blog.
So join me elsewhere while my writing unravels.

No comments:

Post a Comment