Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Nothing New

I haven't created anything new in what seems like a long time. Life gets in the way of writing and let me just tell you, that sucks royally. You can't blame anyone or anything but yourself and if you put too much pressure on it, you will become creativity blocked. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt and sold it at a rummage sale.

But I stand firm with the belief that you cannot force writing. Sitting at a computer screen's blank word document or a sheet of notebook paper with pen in hand or fingers hovering over the keys to gain inspiration. But living a full life of constant motion is not going to help it either. There has to be a balance.

In Nano, they tell you to even count the drabbles, the rambles, the tangents that drone on and on as valid word counts. I honestly don't. I don't write those and I sure as shit don't leave them in my pages. Three pages of me droning on about how I don't know what to write doesn't count as a novel or anything worthy unless I am writing something like this:

"Chapter One. The Night fell like, uhhh, uhh, oohh, let's see, like umm-umm, umm, umm, ooooooo. . . [turns page] . . .oooooo. Oh, the night can fall so many ways. Well, umm. Well, um. I know. Write whatcha know. Write whatcha know. What do you know? What do I know? I don't know anything. Oh! Lunchtime! Chapter Two. Umm, umm, umm. C'mon, c'mon. Umm, umm. You're the writer. . ."
 ~ Kids in the Hall, The Heavy Pen

Gotta love those guys! I sure do! Professionally, personally and creatively. But they are true that writer's block is not something you can just brush aside. I told my bestie a few weeks ago that she should just sit down with her notebook and let her creativity go forth and create. She ended up writing a grocery list and doodling. But hey, it is a start.

Let's throw in another quote that I do know by heart. It's from the Greedy Bastard, Monty Python's Eric Idle (I know, two sketch comedy artists in one blog. You know what style of comedy and writing I prefer!) but he said: "Writing is like fishing" and that you have to go to the pond and fish every day or you're not going to catch anything. That's life. That's writing. You have to be in the right place at the right time.

*Actually. This is not what I meant to originally blog about. And I'm sure I'll dip into this topic much later and with more elaborate details. I'm actually insanely exhausted and tired and in need of writing. Which is the perfect time to write...when you're tired. Damn the time constraints (what is with my swearing lately in this blog? Sorry. Blame it on being tired and irritable lately).

But, life does happen. Writing spurts go in peaks and valleys. It is the trouble of the artist. Hence why I could never really work as a freelance novelist full time. Not only does it suck out the fun of it but it is also very much is not something you can truly control either. But, life does get in the way of art and creative control.

School and family use to be my excuse. Then it became college was an excuse. Now it is real life, work, relationships and drama that distract me. But thanks to some very amazing guys and some epic adventures...I'm hoping to reharness a year old story idea and tweak a few things while adding another novel to the mix.
I really should finish what I start.

Okay. I'm rambling.
Happy Noveling, Kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment