Tuesday, September 11, 2012

"It takes a lot of imagination to be a grown up"

To be a grown up, with a grown up job and responsibilities is a bit daunting. And if those priorities do not involve writing, then it becomes even more difficult. I use to want to be an author as a career. But I do believe that I would go stir crazy in my house all day all alone with a cat or dog or children running around my feet--whatever place I was in my life at the time. For me, writing was like breathing. I would write between (and sometimes during) classes. I would write with my friends. I would come home and watch movies and write. Let's be honest, my life was not that social or exciting. But it was my life and I enjoyed it.

Now that I have a desk job, you would think that writing would be a no-brainer. However, I'm stuck. Creatively, I'm bursting at the seams some days. But others, I'm stretched so thin with work that all I feel is exhaustion. I'm pretty sure that all of the writers in the world who have real grown up jobs, careers and lives feel just as over-whelmed as I do sometimes. But that's the price.

It's just finding a balance that we have to endure. Schedules and plans are my solution. That is, until I get a social life and then it all goes out the window. I spend more of my time trying to fit friends and relationships into the schedule rather than actually paying attention to what I want to do. I went to the library yesterday and they were eagerly thrilled that I was back after my hiatus. I was just renting movies but I'm getting back to my usual self. I'm reading again. I'm watching movies. And this weekend, I wrote! I've started scheduling my weekends with friends, deciding what nights I stay out and trying to devote myself better to my writing and my personal health. It's my life and I need to start figuring out what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment